Electricity cost
Was doing som research on energy cost, with the intention of possible moving my home towards a off grid or tie in system to lower cost. Ran across this link about what went wrong with the open market electricity cost...

Watch the little vid.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.fairelectricrates.net/">http://www.fairelectricrates.net/</a><!-- m -->

FYI not looking to have this a political discussion, but it it turns into one, then move this link. I just thought it was interesting that we are all probably paying to much.
Maul, the Bashing Shamie

"If you want to change the world, be that change."
--Gandhi

[Image: maull2.gif]
You already know my response. When its cost effective to get off the grid, more people will be doing it. The truth is that 12 cents a kilowatt hour is pretty tough to beat. Still, I can't wait to get off the grid and build my bunker as soon as its affordable.

I'm also always weary of the, "these companies are making billions!" arguments. I wish they would talk about company profits in terms of rates of return (meaningful when making comparisons between companies) rather then raw dollars (meaningless when making comparisons between companies).

Where I'd agree with them is that electric utility competition, at least in my area, is pretty weak.
"Hamilton is really a Colossus to the anti republican party. Without numbers he is an host within himself. They have got themselves into a defile where they might be finished but too much security on the republican part will give time to his talents and indefatigableness to extricate them. We have had only middling performances to oppose to him. In truth when he comes forward there is nobody but yourself who can meet him. His adversaries having begun the attack he has the advantage of answering them and remains unanswered himself. For God's sake take up your pen and give a fundamental reply to Curtius and Camillas" - Thomas Jefferson to James Madison
I just thought it was interesting to see the pricing differances between states, when we are all drinking from the same wholesale grid.
Maul, the Bashing Shamie

--Gandhi

Vanraw Wrote:I just thought it was interesting to see the pricing differances between states, when we are all drinking from the same wholesale grid.

We might be drinking from the same grid, but some of us have longer straws. I imagine that distributing power in Kansas is not the same as distributing power in Vermont.
"Hamilton is really a Colossus to the anti republican party. Without numbers he is an host within himself. They have got themselves into a defile where they might be finished but too much security on the republican part will give time to his talents and indefatigableness to extricate them. We have had only middling performances to oppose to him. In truth when he comes forward there is nobody but yourself who can meet him. His adversaries having begun the attack he has the advantage of answering them and remains unanswered himself. For God's sake take up your pen and give a fundamental reply to Curtius and Camillas" - Thomas Jefferson to James Madison
If you ever want to share ideas about "off the grid" living let me know.
"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass." - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.
-Thomas Jefferson

Spread my work ethic not my wealth.
While on the topic I just wanted to share how much cheaper electricity is when you live somewhere that doesnt have air condition. After living in apartments where you pay 200 bucks a month because of AC it really is amazing to pay practically nothing.

I also have no idea how people lived in the south before it.
Jakensama Wrote:While on the topic I just wanted to share how much cheaper electricity is when you live somewhere that doesnt have air condition. After living in apartments where you pay 200 bucks a month because of AC it really is amazing to pay practically nothing.

I also have no idea how people lived in the south before it.

We maybe ran our AC here in ATL 10 days this summer. We usually only run our heater about 2-3 weeks a year too. I absolutely love the weather here after growing up in Upstate NY.
"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass." - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.
-Thomas Jefferson

I thought Atlanta got hot in the summer?

I'm with Jaken, I lived in Texas for a couple years and cant imagine living there in the summer with out AC.

Of course we are all soft and weak. Why I remember when I was young...... Seriously though we never had AC as a kid. Even cars in the midwest rarly were sold with AC. That was something you needed down south. Today I dont even think you can order a car without AC.

Back tot he grid stuff. Thudz, Home power is a very good mag, and they have all thiere back issues in a search-able web interface. So allot of good info. I recommend it if your interested in getting info on what real people are doing.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.homepower.com/home/">http://www.homepower.com/home/</a><!-- m -->

Dusite, The grid wholesale prices are pretty static. The price differences between states is not because of distance to generation.
Maul, the Bashing Shamie

--Gandhi

Vanraw Wrote:Dusite, The grid wholesale prices are pretty static. The price differences between states is not because of distance to generation.

I'm not really knowledgeable here, I'm just guessing that there's cost involved in transmission over long distances. And I'm guessing someone needs to maintain and pay for those transmission lines.
Phoenix wouldn't be what it is without AC and irrigation for that matter. Electricity bills are very high in the summer time. $400 is not unreasonable.
Caveatum & Blhurr D'Vizhun.
[Image: glarebear_av.gif]
[Image: sterb037.gif]
Vanraw Wrote:Seriously though we never had AC as a kid. .

Next thing you know you are going to tell lme you didn't have power windows and automatic transmission either.
Jakensama Wrote:
Vanraw Wrote:Seriously though we never had AC as a kid. .

Next thing you know you are going to tell lme you didn't have power windows and automatic transmission either.

The truth is leaking out.

Dont get me started on the cold snowy walk to school up hill both ways in my bare feet.
Maul, the Bashing Shamie

--Gandhi

On Long Island we pay an extra tax on energy because of those damn hippies that forced the Shoreham nuclear plant from opening. The $6 billion price tag has been passed off to L.I. residents and we've been paying it back since 1986 with no end in sight.
Vanraw Wrote:I thought Atlanta got hot in the summer?

This Summer was VERY mild. Not once did I even run the AC in the car, it was windows down all Summer. I can't imagine we had over 90 degrees for more then maybe 10 days. I am alittle north of the city and we tend to be alittle cooler.

I'd say the normal summer here would have June, July and August in the mid 90's almost everyday.

-Thomas Jefferson