We'll soon all be Cyborgs
Pretty cool. Tons of applications I can think of.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.physorg.com/news122819670.html">http://www.physorg.com/news122819670.html</a><!-- m -->
"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass." - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.
-Thomas Jefferson

Spread my work ethic not my wealth.
It's all good and well until it decides to divert power from your brain to the device in order to download a large text message.
"Hamilton is really a Colossus to the anti republican party. Without numbers he is an host within himself. They have got themselves into a defile where they might be finished but too much security on the republican part will give time to his talents and indefatigableness to extricate them. We have had only middling performances to oppose to him. In truth when he comes forward there is nobody but yourself who can meet him. His adversaries having begun the attack he has the advantage of answering them and remains unanswered himself. For God's sake take up your pen and give a fundamental reply to Curtius and Camillas" - Thomas Jefferson to James Madison
That's what Mt. Dew is for.

I was thinking about diabetics. Theoretically couldn't a device like this monitor your blood sugar and even work to convert extra blood sugar to electrical energy if the sugar levels exceed a certain amount and sound an alarm if they drop below an amount.

Also, couldn't a device like this give you all sorts of other information on your blood like type, cholesterol and white blood cell levels. It would be a good tool for first responders and doctors.
"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass." - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.
-Thomas Jefferson

... neat idea, but holy hell lots of questions...
Like:
What holds it in place?!?!?! What happens if soemthing hits your arm (or how hard before it breaks)??? What if it does break? And can something that large seriosuly be placed between the muscle and skin? what abotu all the capilaries that bring blood to the skin itself?? Wouldn't the skin over the device suffer from poor circulation?

It's been a while since I studied biology, but this doesnt sound remotely feasible to me.

I think you could quite easily create a port in the skin to plug this into your body and have it outside your skin, which to me sounds like a hell of a lot more useful anyway. I feel like this deserves a single word that somehow expresses the concept of "What the?!!?! Neato!! Wierd as *@ck!!"
Gameless (for now)
More links on the thing. This is wierd stuff. Who would every do this to them selves???

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.core77.com/competitions/GreenerGadgets/projects/4673/">http://www.core77.com/competitions/Gree ... ects/4673/</a><!-- m -->
Maul, the Bashing Shamie

"If you want to change the world, be that change."
--Gandhi

[Image: maull2.gif]
I embrace this shit, this is very fascinating to me. The possibilities are endless. I want an implant that captures the images on my retinas and digitizes them on to a tiny HD implanted in my skull that allows for instance playback of anything you've seen, kinda like a built in DVR.

-Thomas Jefferson

OrsunVZ Wrote:... neat idea, but holy hell lots of questions...
Like:
What holds it in place?!?!?! What happens if soemthing hits your arm (or how hard before it breaks)??? What if it does break? And can something that large seriosuly be placed between the muscle and skin? what abotu all the capilaries that bring blood to the skin itself?? Wouldn't the skin over the device suffer from poor circulation?

It's been a while since I studied biology, but this doesnt sound remotely feasible to me.

I think you could quite easily create a port in the skin to plug this into your body and have it outside your skin, which to me sounds like a hell of a lot more useful anyway. I feel like this deserves a single word that somehow expresses the concept of "What the?!!?! Neato!! Wierd as *@ck!!"

I think it is very porous and allows for the skin and muscles to reconnect naturally. I see this as less intrusive then say Botox or Saline injections that go between the muscle and skin.

-Thomas Jefferson

That might answer a couple of the questions then...

mind you Botox should probably not be used as a reference point in medical validity. Effing crazy imo.
Gameless (for now)
Pretty cool until his hardware or software is out of date in two years and it no longer operates.

Their was a time when we thought computers would allow us to store data for an millenium. Now we are lucky if we get 4 years out of it.

Ironically a stone tablet is still the only way to store data long term.

Vllad
Vllad Wrote:Pretty cool until his hardware or software is out of date in two years and it no longer operates.

Their was a time when we thought computers would allow us to store data for an millenium. Now we are lucky if we get 4 years out of it.

Ironically a stone tablet is still the only way to store data long term.

Vllad

I was thinking about that the other day. Will there every be a time when "beings" of some sort are looking at Mount Rushmore saying "wow, who were these guys?"
"Hamilton is really a Colossus to the anti republican party. Without numbers he is an host within himself. They have got themselves into a defile where they might be finished but too much security on the republican part will give time to his talents and indefatigableness to extricate them. We have had only middling performances to oppose to him. In truth when he comes forward there is nobody but yourself who can meet him. His adversaries having begun the attack he has the advantage of answering them and remains unanswered himself. For God's sake take up your pen and give a fundamental reply to Curtius and Camillas" - Thomas Jefferson to James Madison
I think so dustie. though it might be like 2 thousand years from now. Look at the Aztec and Mayan as well as Egypt monuments.

A friend of mine wrote a short story about aliens coming to a uninhbaited earth like 10k years in the future that took this approach. One thing made me laugh was the aliens view on our highway system. It was obviously an archaic sporting event in which we would chase small creatures around and try to smash them with our mechanical devices.
Maul, the Bashing Shamie

"If you want to change the world, be that change."
--Gandhi

[Image: maull2.gif]
Vanraw Wrote:I think so dustie. though it might be like 2 thousand years from now. Look at the Aztec and Mayan as well as Egypt monuments.

A friend of mine wrote a short story about aliens coming to a uninhbaited earth like 10k years in the future that took this approach. One thing made me laugh was the aliens view on our highway system. It was obviously an archaic sporting event in which we would chase small creatures around and try to smash them with our mechanical devices.

As we know now from that show that shows what would happen to Earth if all humans were gone pretty much everything built by man (buildings, bridges, roads) is almost completely gone, as in no trace what so ever, in just a couple thousand years. Things like roads disappear under the soil and vegetation in just a matter of years.

-Thomas Jefferson

The nat geo show says mount rushmore will stay intact for at least 200k years
[should not have shot the dolphin]
Diggles Wrote:The nat geo show says mount rushmore will stay intact for at least 200k years

Solid granite is very durable.

-Thomas Jefferson

Thudz Wrote:
Diggles Wrote:The nat geo show says mount rushmore will stay intact for at least 200k years

Solid granite is very durable.

Yeah they should make mountains out of that stuff.
A-LA-BA-MA MAN!
HE'S QUICK, HE'S STRONG, HE'S ACTIVE!
You can take Alabama Man to the bowling alley, where he drinks heavily and chews tobacco!
HE CAN BOWL, HE CAN DRINK, HE CAN DRINK SOME MORE, ALA-BA-MA-MAN!
When wife asks him where he's been, just use the action button and Alabama Man busts her lip open!
"Shut up, Bitch!"
"Wow!"
BEATS HIS WIFE AND SLEEPS IT OFF, A-LA-BA-MA MAN!
Quote:I was thinking about diabetics. Theoretically couldn't a device like this monitor your blood sugar and even work to convert extra blood sugar to electrical energy if the sugar levels exceed a certain amount and sound an alarm if they drop below an amount.

I can't pull up the link, but the problem with diabetes isn't, necessarily, getting rid of excess glucose in the blood. Excess sugar will eventually be filtered out into the urine. It's not the ideal fate of excess glucose, nor is it healthy, but even if there was a means to convert excess glucose from your blood into electricity, it won't do you any good anyway. Your cells can only use ATP from oxidized carbon compounds to fuel cellular processes. Your brain runs exclusively on glucose.

The most immediate concern of high blood sugar level is keto-acidosis, which is caused by the metabolism of protein instead of glucose. That's what will eventually put you into a coma.
Moristans: err

What the f*** Skelas - I know this is NSFW, but I coudn't watch this at work...

-Orsun
Moristans Wrote:
Quote:I was thinking about diabetics. Theoretically couldn't a device like this monitor your blood sugar and even work to convert extra blood sugar to electrical energy if the sugar levels exceed a certain amount and sound an alarm if they drop below an amount.

I can't pull up the link, but the problem with diabetes isn't, necessarily, getting rid of excess glucose in the blood. Excess sugar will eventually be filtered out into the urine. It's not the ideal fate of excess glucose, nor is it healthy, but even if there was a means to convert excess glucose from your blood into electricity, it won't do you any good anyway. Your cells can only use ATP from oxidized carbon compounds to fuel cellular processes. Your brain runs exclusively on glucose.

The most immediate concern of high blood sugar level is keto-acidosis, which is caused by the metabolism of protein instead of glucose. That's what will eventually put you into a coma.

Take your book learning and get the hell out of my thread!

-Thomas Jefferson

Quote:And can something that large seriosuly be placed between the muscle and skin? what abotu all the capilaries that bring blood to the skin itself?? Wouldn't the skin over the device suffer from poor circulation?

Again, can't pull up the link to see the device, but, generally, the skin covering your muscles has it's own independent capillary bed with it's own independent blood supply from the muscle itself. It shouldn't suffer from poor circulation if an object is placed between it and whatever it happens to be covering. At points, you have arteries supplying the capillary beds in skin coming up through muscle and connective tissue, but those point shouldn't be that difficult to avoid.

-Orsun
Quote:Take your book learning and get the hell out of my thread!

K, just don't burn me at the stake. :cry:

-Orsun