12 Prophets, Athrex, and Alan make the news
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.wired.com/gaming/virtualworlds/magazine/16-12/ff_ige?currentPage=3">http://www.wired.com/gaming/virtualworl ... rentPage=3</a><!-- m -->

Athrex = Brook Pierce, child actor... founder of IGE

Here are a few tid bits from this article. Its gets even better.

"Pierce's high-profile startup had flamed out in a blaze of scandal that included accusations of sex with minors, and he and his cofounders had found it prudent to leave the US."

I wonder if the minor was Fluers. She slept around with several Prophets and was a minor at the time I believe. If you read the whole article, they got busted flying a minor from the US to visit them in Spain with the intent to have sex.

"In the real world Pierce was just a 19-year-old washed-up child actor living far from home and going slowly broke. But in Norrath he was none of that. In Norrath he was the dark-elf wizard Athrex, and he was a champion. He played on EverQuest's Vallon Zek server, by far the most competitive of the three dozen subcommunities into which the EverQuest player population was segregated, and even there he stood out. "There would be server-wide tournaments and I would win them," he says, proud even now of his skill in both combat and the endless grind of monster killing and gradual, relentless "leveling up" that defines MMOs."

"Pierce knew how much real money his farming could have earned him. By then he was rising to prominence in Vallon Zek's premier guild, Twelve Prophets, led by Swiss 18-year-old Alan Debonneville, who in addition to managing the guild was selling EverQuest items and currency on the side. "I was in charge of the market on my server," Debonneville says. "I would net $6,000 to $8,000 per month."
Game Tags
Skaag/Iceheart
Skaag51, Xbox Live
Skaag555, Steam ID
this guy wasnt shit. there was some ogre dude that could get you anything that was tradeable. i forget what his name was, but he was like an item broker
[should not have shot the dolphin]
Bolas?
Yeah Bolas. Lol. Wasn't he like level 20 with full Bloodrune or whatever it was called. heh.
Caveatum & Blhurr D'Vizhun.
[Image: glarebear_av.gif]
[Image: sterb037.gif]
I thought Fleurs was like some older chick who got divorced years before and was living off her ex-hubby's settlement?

Not sure of that, though. I only encountered her once and she was way out of my level range.
The CK Machine
[Image: HWL.gif]
You got Chlamydia from Calliope!

After all these years it still makes me laugh.
Waeloga-"Flab is my idol"
Think I powerleveled her for cyber.
Flab Wrote:You got Chlamydia from Calliope!

After all these years it still makes me laugh.

No wai! I had a suitcase full of condoms!

Apparently Postmortim forgot his. Either that or he was overcome by her hotness and forgot to put 'em on.
The CK Machine
[Image: HWL.gif]
Calliope was Kakarat's BFF!
I wonder how old Astar was. Man she was a cyber-slut. I hear Skaag liked her.

Somehow, they forgot to add in Graym who was gods gift to EQ. He could solo PoH/PoF at lvl 45.
War: Kanish
Wow: Lowkki, Yash, Alioop
EQ: Oakenfold Perfecto <Defiant>
Bleh not only did theese guys F up Vallon but it sounds like they have F'd up entire games, peoples lives, and then some. I'd love to run into one of them at a game.con and insert fist to nose.
pretty gross stuff. Shows how the assholes always get ahead by trampling over other people. Alann was stealing from his guild for personal profit and Athrex was basically funded by a pedophile who probably was just looking to get into his 17 year old pants.
I always hated Alan and his buddies. They were scum in game and as it turned out they were scum out of the game.

It puts a smile on my face knowing that we made their life as hard as we possibly could.

I have often felt a little guilty for retaining such bitterness over the years for 12P guys. Now I know it was justified.

Vllad
Just goes to show, the attitudes of these people may have been a small thing, but a bad seed grows a rotten tree.

And then it falls on your house and makes a big mess.

Maybe honest deeds aren't as good for making quick cash, but there are a lot more important things in life than fast cash.
Lowwki Wrote:I wonder how old Astar was. Man she was a cyber-slut. I hear Skaag liked her.

Its like they say, you are attracted to girls that remind you of mom.

Singularity Wrote:I thought Fleurs was like some older chick who got divorced years before and was living off her ex-hubby's settlement?

Haha and half the servers we have played on think you are a chick with a redneck older brother who gets on vent - the internet is a hell of a thing Wink
Karne Wrote:I'd love to run into one of them at a game.con and insert fist to nose.

I'll join you.
Great article, thanks for the link
Wow, that article was kind of intense. Those dudes just sound like scum bags.
Dagan Xir
==========
Don't see everything you believe.
I can't tell you how many times I grouped with Athrex. Or someone playing that character anyway.
I wonder how much the movie rights would go for?
"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass." - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.
-Thomas Jefferson

Spread my work ethic not my wealth.
I finally read the whole thing. That's pretty freaking crazy. I spent a lot of time pvping with that dude all the while he was hatching this crazy ass global business approaching a bil in worth. I'm glad he had to go through all that bullshit but in the end he seemed to make it out filthy rich and still doing shit. Unreal. This guy is MMO enemy number one lol.
I think it was year 3 of EQ before I realized what a big dope I was. A lot of things came to light that were bizarre stories that I'd always dismissed as paranoid anti-internet propaganda. But little by little it became obvious that some players were scummier than I could imagine. Made me realize there were people sitting around laughing their asses off while ruining the game for naive players like me. Even players I thought of as "friends" turned out to be selling gold online, taken from their guild accounts that no one bothered to keep track of.

Anyhow. These are reasons why I'll never fall in love with a game again, which is just a lesson well-learned.
Tawonda
Barb Shaman EQ
Midgard Skald DAoC
Shawonda, Tauren Druid, WOW
I really wanted to beat that fooker to 60.

Rest in Pieces
Moristans: err

What the f*** Skelas - I know this is NSFW, but I coudn't watch this at work...

-Orsun
Shit, if I had the chance of becoming a millionaire and the major side effect was it inconvenienced some people in a video game, I don't think it would be a hard choice. I'm already an unrepentant gold buyer, so if I am supporting the evil asian empire I just wish I was on the profiting end.
i wanted to beat that fucker to 60 too, but then i would have had to do that in a day per character