Dark Matter (Netflix)
This is a show worth checking out. It's on Netflix. Sci-fi spaceship show.

The opening premise is of a crew of a ship that wakes up possessing no memory, carrying a load of weapons. They have to figure out who they are, what happened and why people keep trying to kill them.

Went through 7 episodes this weekend. It's not as good as Firefly and some things about it are sloppy but I'm enjoying it. It very much puts me in mind of the sorts of things I hope to see in Star Citizen.
Ascension (the mini series) was also much better than expected. It was done by SyFy so expectations were rather low. It has a lot of interpersonal drama (as to be expected from syfy). So only about 50% of the show is really Science fiction. But that 50% was actually pretty good.

The premise of this show is that a generational space ship was secretly launched back in 1963
with the goal of colonizing another star system (on a 100 year Voyage). It has all of the social flaws and technology that you would expect from a ship launched in 1963.

Unfortunately (or fortunately if you look at syfy's track record) the show was not picked up as a series. But, it is still worth watching.
A-LA-BA-MA MAN!
HE'S QUICK, HE'S STRONG, HE'S ACTIVE!
You can take Alabama Man to the bowling alley, where he drinks heavily and chews tobacco!
HE CAN BOWL, HE CAN DRINK, HE CAN DRINK SOME MORE, ALA-BA-MA-MAN!
When wife asks him where he's been, just use the action button and Alabama Man busts her lip open!
"Shut up, Bitch!"
"Wow!"
BEATS HIS WIFE AND SLEEPS IT OFF, A-LA-BA-MA MAN!
Zouji Wrote:Ascension (the mini series) was also much better than expected. It was done by SyFy so expectations were rather low. It has a lot of interpersonal drama (as to be expected from syfy). So only about 50% of the show is really Science fiction. But that 50% was actually pretty good.

I hated this show.

Without trying to spoil it, as soon as you find out what is really going on you realize this must be the dumbest individuals ever to get their PHD's.
Dark Mirror is another Science fiction show. It is probably the best science fiction show I have seen, since the Outer Limits show from the 1990's (the 60's show was so so). Netflix picked up the rights to it so we will get a full (12 episodes?) season in 2016. BBC 2 made the 7 episodes that are out right now (two, 3 episodes, seasons plus a Christmas special).

Much like the Outer Limits or the Twilight Zone each episode is its own self contained universe. This show focuses on the dark nature of the use/misuse of near future technology as it relates to society. Much like the name of the show implies, it is meant to be a dark mirror of our own potential future.
A-LA-BA-MA MAN!
You can take Alabama Man to the bowling alley, where he drinks heavily and chews tobacco!
When wife asks him where he's been, just use the action button and Alabama Man busts her lip open!
"Shut up, Bitch!"
"Wow!"
Vllad Wrote:
Zouji Wrote:Ascension (the mini series) was also much better than expected. It was done by SyFy so expectations were rather low. It has a lot of interpersonal drama (as to be expected from syfy). So only about 50% of the show is really Science fiction. But that 50% was actually pretty good.

I hated this show.

Without trying to spoil it, as soon as you find out what is really going on you realize this must be the dumbest individuals ever to get their PHD's.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

You would be surprised (or not) how dumb people with a Doctorate can be (in real life).
A-LA-BA-MA MAN!
"Shut up, Bitch!"
"Wow!"
Zouji Wrote:Black Mirror
Black Mirror was excellent. Very well done show and anyone who likes the Twilight Zone would surely enjoy it. Each episode is a one-off but very good entertainment and a general jab at modern society, especially our use of technology.
I made a boo boo. It is called Black Mirror and it came from Channel 4 BBC. It is still only 7 episodes until 2016.
A-LA-BA-MA MAN!
"Shut up, Bitch!"
"Wow!"
I watched Dark Matter when it was airing on Scyfy and enjoyed it. I thought their "transfer transit", or whatever it was called, technology for quickly visiting far away places was interesting.
Zirak / Thanoslug in lots of MMOs
[Image: homicidal.jpg]
"Consensus: The process of abandoning all beliefs, principles, values, and policies in search of something in which no one believes, but to which no one objects; the process of avoiding the very issues that have to be solved, merely because you cannot get agreement on the way ahead." -Margaret Thatcher
I thought Killjoys was pretty solid too, was surprised that syfy got their shit together for a couple shows. It's almost bizarre that syfy put together Battlestar Galactica, and since then it's been steaming pile of shit after steaming pile of shit. At least they are regular, which as I get older gets more and more important.
Skelas

Burnt to a crisp.
Skelas Wrote:I thought Killjoys was pretty solid too, was surprised that syfy got their shit together for a couple shows. It's almost bizarre that syfy put together Battlestar Galactica, and since then it's been steaming pile of shit after steaming pile of shit. At least they are regular, which as I get older gets more and more important.

I thought Vlad said Oat Bran and Prune juice were the keys to being regular.
A-LA-BA-MA MAN!
"Shut up, Bitch!"
"Wow!"
Also Dark Matter wasn't made by SyFy or for SyFy. Prodigy Pictures (a Canadian company) made the show for a Canadian channel called Space.

SyFy is just the distributor to the US. So if you want any good science fiction shows, they don't need to be made just for SyFy.

Also SyFy needs to be pronounced like the syph in syphilis + the letter e. Put it together and you get Syph-E (SyFy). If you watch to much of it, then you may catch it.
A-LA-BA-MA MAN!
"Shut up, Bitch!"
"Wow!"
Zouji Wrote:If you watch to much of it, then you may catch it.
That makes sense. I occasionally run into people who really love all these SyFy shows. To them, the cheesiness of all those shows is literally why they like them so much. Mediocre actors on medicore sets in a mediocre story doing a mediocre job? They can't get enough of it.

They think I'm strange for not getting as into it as they do.

Now that I think about it, they are also into all the old cheesy horror movies so maybe there's just some kind of market for people who like cheese. Perhaps they have caught Syph-E.
My friend had bit parts in 4 made for Syfy movies. They shoot most of them in Bulgaria and he worked there for years managing an outsourced helpdesk company so he got easy bit parts because he was American. Here he is getting fried in one of them...note his horrific NYC accent =):

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://youtu.be/V_nXgp3sxvc?t=4m52s">https://youtu.be/V_nXgp3sxvc?t=4m52s</a><!-- m -->

and here he is getting eaten alive in Lake Placid 3:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://youtu.be/kvVTAf9ZrUI?t=37m40s">https://youtu.be/kvVTAf9ZrUI?t=37m40s</a><!-- m -->
Watched the first season. Its pretty good. Surprise ending for sure....
Maul, the Bashing Shamie

"If you want to change the world, be that change."
--Gandhi

[Image: maull2.gif]